Around noon Sunday, Sue and I argued, first at IKEA, then the argument continued as we drove home. This was unusual considering we had been enjoying many weeks of extreme cooperation,peace and joy since God’s major interventions in my heart, starting on April 27th. Sue noticed something in ‘my tone’, that I was completely unaware of.
At first, we reacted to each other, hurtful words and unmet expectations were shared, and I tried several times to draw the conversation back around to the root cause of this event – the evil one, the liar and accuser.
I wanted to write up this event later, as that is the way the Lord works in me, so I recorded the conversation in our car, to re-hear what I said, and the seeming ignorance of the subtle way of satan’s operation in the argument.
To me at least it provided concrete evidences of the many times we as humans try to relabel sin by other expressions and given them ‘nicer names’, blaming our humanity (‘we are responsible’), or blame the other person (childish ways of finger pointing, and past wrongs), without ever fully realizing the root of the evil one’s lies and deceit.
When we got home, Sue went upstairs to lie down and rest, and I ate lunch. As I did so the Holy Spirit, and ultimate ‘Kaizen Facilitator‘ got my full attention very quickly, and directed me to acknowledge these points yesterday and today:
- First to recognize a more gentle way to pray with my partner – I found a short paper with suggestions on how to pray with your spouse. My error was including grievances or concerns in my prayer with Sue that should have been withheld and shared in private prayer with God.
- Second, the ways and methods in which satan gets ‘his way with us’ are very subtle. The specific resource, was a book I ran into at Mardel years ago through ‘Bible Bob’, Precious Remedies Against Satan’s Devices by Thomas Brooks (1608-1680). This book, in published form offered by Banner of Truth in Scotland, was re-written in modern language with input from David Wilkerson, a close friend of Leonard Ravenhill.
- Third, the strategy offered to overcome the ‘wiles of the devil‘ include putting on the ‘whole armor of God‘, including the ‘sword of the Word‘ (Ephesians 6), which I understood to mean ‘meditating on the word day and night’ (Psalm 1). To which I brought up an old wound again and concern for my partner, whom claimed to ‘walk in the spirit’ never seemed to read the Word with any consistency so the Holy Spirit in my mind, had little opportunity to speak to her through it.
- Fourth, that sometimes I still get tripped up by not understanding the soul – spirit divide, thankfully Norman brings light to answer this again in The Soul-Spirit Understanding.
- Fifth, an online forum where at first it appears as a whiny husband complaining he can’t get his wife to read the bible, as I had done of Sue (hence my search term that led me to the forum). One person who responded (MichaelH) had light to offer that almost everyone else ignored, but to me was wisdom and light. The Holy Spirit had me pay close attention to “So you can imagine when I spoke of the Word, it was like Greek to her. However, scripture tells us what to do and what to believe. A leader believers God, and is unmoved by anything, trusting in the Word. A Leader also has power in their life.“
- Sixth, as I shared some of the disagreement story with Shannon today, the Holy Spirit directed him to share useful recommendations to ‘lead by example‘ (much as the preceding light source suggested), by ‘demonstrating‘ and ‘inviting your partner to read aloud with you‘. The Holy Spirit also repeated 1 Corinthians 13 again to reinforce verse 4 “Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up”.
Lord I repent and agree I wandered away from your truth (The Word, Psalm 1) into the error of my own thinking and ‘vain imaginations’ (2 Cor 10:5) between 7/9 and 7/26, and it took your intervention by piercing me (and Sue) at IKEA and throughout Sunday, through your permissible will, you allowed the evil one to have his way in us by deception, and lies, as he always does, so that I (nay we) were redirected back to the narrow road that leads to righteousness, through Paul’s description of the full Armor of God (Ephesians 6), back to your Loving ways (1 Cor 13) to the finished work of Christ! (Rev 12:11). Thank you that your sons blood covers my sin, and I receive your forgiveness. Amen
And the final lesson learned is that I CAN LIVE COMPLETELY TRUSTING THE ANOINTING WITHIN TO TEACH ME ALL THINGS (1 JOHN 2:27) AND CAUSE ME TO WALK IN HIS WAYS (EZEKIEL 36:27)!!!